Friday, May 15, 2015

Re: Water For Elephants

5 Stars = I loved it! Would read again and again
4 Stars = Highly enjoyable and would read it again
3 Stars = Enjoyable but wouldn't read again
2 Stars = Tolerable
1 Star = I hated it


In this Re:View I'm going to be talking about Water For Elephants (the book, not the movie) by Sara Gruen. This book has been on my To Read list for quite some time. We're talking years. I finally checked it out at the library and I'm so glad I did.

Before I go further, I'll explain my structure here. I'll review the book without giving spoilers first. Then I'll give a clear warning before delving into spoiler territory. If you hate spoilers don't worry. I hate spoilers as well. Rest assured. I'm looking out for my fellow spoiler haters.

This book was a page turner. I had trouble putting it down to do other things like eat or sleep. That's always a good sign in a book. Water For Elephants is a very rich and dynamic story. You feel like you're there with the characters. Gruen brought the circus environment to life in a way I'd never seen it before. The majority of the story takes place behind the scenes of a circus, in the day to day life of it's workers and performers in Depression era America. The characters are complex, with a realistic mix of good and bad in each person. The structure of the story with the passage of time is beautifully done and really adds to the experience of the story. The storyline is truly gripping, a story of love, cruelty, danger, friendship, and showbiz.

 Sara Gruen did a lot of research in the quest of writing this book. Many of the happenings in this book come from true stories or circus legend. She even got up close and personal with two circus elephants as well as researched many more. She managed to make contact with current circus workers, a feat not easily accomplished because many circus folk shy away from interviews because of the activity of animal rights activists in opposition to animal performances in circuses. She worked hard and researched thoroughly. Her finished work definitely shows that. I would personally rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I don't often give that high of a rating to a book. It's a rating I only give to my favorites.

Abuse Survivors Warning
There is some violence and unpredictable characters in this book. One scene in particular could be triggering for blank spots in memory or memories of blacking out during abuse. Read with caution.

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT!!!

Be warned. Spoiler content will be discussed now!

Can I just say it's refreshing to come across dynamic characters. Each character had light and darkness inside them. The bad characters weren't just bad for the heck of it. August had paranoid schizophrenia, a very real psychological disorder. He was violent and scary, but there was an underlying cause that made sense. I'm not saying it was all his disorder. He definitely made some bad and outright mean decisions. Uncle Al is a little more complex. Yes he was an evil and cruel circus master. But what made him that way was his ambition and dream. He didn't see people. He saw tools and a means to realize his dream. He was so fixed on his dream that he lost his humanity and failed to see the humanity of the people around him. Jacob was lost and directionless after the death of his parents and his freakout at his final exams. His intentions were usually good and he tried his best to help the people he cared about. He had darkness in him as well though. He wasn't a purely good character. No real person besides Jesus is purely good. At one point his rage towards August almost causes him to commit murder. Also, his fear got to him in that he kept Rosie's secret even from his wife their whole life together. Walter had a heart of gold, but you had to see it beyond his rough edges. Camel starts out strong, but in his darkest hour falls to pettiness and hopelessness. I don't think, given the chance, that he would have stayed that way. But it goes to show how even a strong person can bow to fear and hopelessness in the face of disaster. Marlena is a beautiful picture of someone in a bad situation, a situation that she walked into willingly and the trap closed before she knew what she'd gotten herself into. She wasn't perfect and the conflict she felt is apparent. She wore a mask and made due. Many of us do that.

I love how the story bounces from current day to the past in the storytelling. It's adds an extra layer of richness. It also shows how the very people that most of society think are the most boring are the ones with the most interesting stories to tell. I mean just think about it. They've seen so much history and had so many experiences. Our elders have so much they could tell us if we'd only ask and listen. They've seen things we can only dream of. I also love how the story starts with the circus disaster and then starts from the beginning. You know something huge is about to go down, but you don't know when or what events lead up to that moment. You get to watch it all unfold before you. Instead of the disaster being a shock, it's that moment when the pieces of the story link together and realization floods your mind.

The ending was pure gold. I loved getting to hear snippets of Jacob's life with Marlena. The acquisition of Rosie, Bobo, 11 horses, and a bereaved dog was hilarious and beautiful. But the best part of the ending was Jacob running away with the circus. He was 90 or 93. What did he have to lose? He still thirsted for adventure and he wasn't afraid to go for it. The book started with an adventure and it ended with one. You're never too old for adventure. His body might have been old but his heart was still young. It didn't end with death, it ended with life. It's an ending that makes me want to make sure I live every bit of life I can and not waste a drop.

That's it for this Re:View. You can send any feedback to thehalflingninja@gmail.com or leave a comment. Thanks for reading!

You're never too small (or too old) to make a difference in the world.

The Halfling Ninja

No comments:

Post a Comment